Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Trouble With Breastfeeding...

Whew, it's been a long week!  I started the week going to Ezra's doctors appointment, which I moved from Wednesday to Monday because of the hellish night we had on Sunday.  Ezra's last appointment had been almost 2 weeks before, where he weighed 7lbs 4oz.  At this appointment he weighed 7lbs 7oz.  So in 2 weeks he had only gained 3 ounces!  His doctor watched me nurse him and decided that he wasn't eating aggressive enough (meaning he isn't sucking as frequent or as long as he should be) so she wanted me to get a supplemental feeding system and a pump.  The theory is that when babies lose a bunch of weight when they are newborn, they have a harder time catching up because they don't have as much energy as a bigger baby.  So, if I pump and use the supplemental system then he's getting double the food with the same amount of energy.

Here's how the supplemental system works:
I pump in between feedings and when Ezra is finally awake and ready to eat, I fill the reservoir, hang it around my neck, and then tape the tubing on my boob.  Ezra latches onto me and the attached tubing.

Ta da, I'm a milk truck!  Ezra's going back to the doctor tomorrow to get weighed in.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment